In January 2020, Tim Bayne, Anil Seth and Marcello Massimini published an opinion paper on Trends in Neurosciences. Not agreeing with some of the points they made, Benedetta Cecconi, Jitka Annen and Steven Laureys decided to write a letter to the editor.
Among the scholarships awarded by the FRS-FNRS this year, 90 will finance research carried out by researchers from ULiège.
ULiège is preparing the evolution of automated PCR testing by mid-September in order to considerably increase the testing capacity of the population.
Congratulations to all researchers obtaining a new FNRS mandate !
We invite excellent postdoctoral candidates to co-apply with the institute's top biomedical scientists for a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action Individual Fellowship (MSCA-IF). The GIGA is a center of research excellence in the French Belgian region with an outstanding track record across biomedical topics including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, immunology, medical genomics, neurosciences and in silico medicine (www.giga.uliege.be).
Interested applicants are advised to consult the website to learn about the research topics for which they would like to propose a research project. The MSCA-IF awards 2-year postdoctoral research and training grants to successful candidates.
Applicants must first comply with the mobility and experienced researcher qualification requirements.
For mobility eligibility:
- Candidates residing/working in Europe cannot have resided or carried out their main activity in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to 09-September-2020; or
- Candidates residing/working outside Europe cannot have resided or carried out their main activity in Belgium for more than 3 years in the 5 years prior to 09-September-2020.
For experienced researcher qualification:
- Candidates should, by 09-September-2020, either hold a doctoral/PhDqualification or have 4 years full time research experience.
Applicants are requested to email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: "GIGA-MSCA-IF-2020" latest by 03-July-2020:
- Detailed CV, which includes the names and contact details of 3 reference persons;
- "Research experience" document, a 1-page description of research and training activities already undertaken;
- "Motivation" document, a 1-page presentation of one's envisioned research project indicating clearly the laboratory which one would like to join.
Preparation of a joint application with selected candidates will be done in collaboration with the suggested research supervisor and the GIGA Grants unit.
Find on a dedicated wesite all the projects set up at ULiège and in many other organisations in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation to fight against the virus and its consequences on health, society and the economy.
2 months after the start of this pandemic, a short summary of the activities of the GIGA COVID-19 working group involving almost 200 volunteers!
The Human Genetics team of Prof. Vincent Bours at the GIGA of the University of Liège, in collaboration with the University Hospital (CHU) of Liège, is one of the two Belgian teams (with the KULeuven) to publish sequences of genomes of Sars-Cov- 2 on the international platform Nextstrain.
Collaboration between Walloon public and private players has made it possible to develop the production of these plates very quickly. From now on, all the elements of the Covid-19 screening test are mastered by Wallonia.
A GIGA team has just highlighted the role of perineural nets in controlling the end of the sensorimotor vocal learning in canaries.
Facing the shortage of reagents needed for coronavirus detection tests, scientists at the University of Liège (GIGA, FARAH, GREENMAT) have developed a technique allowing more than 2,000 tests to be carried out per day.